Why Belfast? – Cén Fáth i mBéal Feirste?
With a population now heading towards 580,000, Belfast is, by a long way, Ireland’s second city.
Along with Dublin, it now forms a corridor which is increasingly significant in Ireland’s social and economic life. In 2010, “Ardú Bhéal Feirste” was published by Ulster GAA to reflect the priority placed on urban GAA development at both the central and Ulster GAA levels. It focuses on issues and solutions specific to Belfast and clearly identified the way forward for redeveloping Casement Park as Ulster’s Provincial Stadium.
This project represents an unprecedented opportunity to redevelop a major facility at the
centre of the Ulster GAA’s physical development strategy, one that will strengthen the presence of the GAA in Ireland’s second city whilst contributing significantly to its economic and social regeneration.
Benefits – Na Buntáistí
The key benefits anticipated through the redevelopment of Casement Park include:
Improved Health & Safety:
- Development of a new stadium which is fully compliant with health and safety regulations;
- Increased out of state visitors to the north of the island to watch games and participate in conferences and events;
- Creation of additional jobs and salaries (direct, indirect and induced) provided through the capital development and future operation of the stadium.
Community / Social Benefits:
- Creation of jobs and training opportunities specifically for unemployed individuals from surrounding communities;
- Creation of new and improved community facilities provided to service the local community’s needs and those of the wider GAA community;
Improved Health and Wellbeing:
- Development of flagship regional stadium for Ulster GAA, which aims to attract significant new fixtures and increase spectator levels, thereby increasing interest and potentially participation in Gaelic Games;
- Provision of a supporting sports development plan which will seek to increase participation within Belfast and Province wide, and improve the performance of participants;
Improved equality of opportunity
- Development of a new stadium which is fully compliant with DDA regulations;
- Provision of a supporting sports development plan which actively seeks to increase participation amongst underrepresented groups including females, people with disabilities and ethnic minorities;
- Provision of a supporting sports development plan which actively seeks to encourage greater cross community cohesion;